To edit out umms, ahhs, ambient sounds or mistakes in your track (we all make them!), you’ll need to make incisions. To split, or cut, tracks in in Audacity:
- With the Selection Tool engaged, position the play head where you want to cut
- Cut the track using Command-I combination on the keyboard or Edit > Clip Boundaries > Split
- You can then use the the Time Shift tool to move audio segment in the timeline
To copy audio to a different track or to a place within the same track.
- Using the Selection Tool, draw a box around the audio you want to copy.
- Copy your segment using the Command-C combination on the keyboard or Edit > Copy
- Select destination track, or create a new track, and paste using Command-V or Edit > Paste
- Use the Time Shift tool to move audio segment in the timeline