Audacity is a free and open-source digital audio editor and audio recording application available for Windows, macOS, Linux. The software is easy to use and to install and provides advanced features such as multi-track recording, sound effects, and filters.
Is Audition Right for Me?
- Audacity is available for free and is compatible with Windows, Mac OS, and Linux operating systems.
- Audacity supports multi-track editing, allowing the layering of audio tracks for sound effects, background music, and multiple speakers. Audio can be recorded directly into Audacity using microphones connected to a computer, or imported from other sources.
- Audacity’s effects and interface are not as robust as more professional tools like Adobe Audition.
How to Get Audacity
Audacity can be downloaded from www.audacityteam.org
- Tutorial courses are available for free to Princeton faculty, staff, and students through LinkedIn Learning.
Note to Mac Users:
- Audacity has not been updated to comply with new Mac OSX security features starting in Catalina. If you are unable to record from your computer’s microphone into Audacity on a Mac, follow these instructions.